For primary gynecological, prenatal, and childbirth care, The Midwife Center is in-network with most private insurance and medical assistance (Medicaid) plans, including:
- Aetna Better Health
- Health America
- Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield*
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare Community Partners
- UPMC Health Plan
- UPMC for You
The Midwife Center does not currently accept out-of-state Medicaid plans.
* The Midwife Center accepts Highmark insurance for all of its services at The Midwife Center, including a birth in our facility. However, our primary referral hospital, UPMC Mercy, is not in-network with Highmark. You may have the option to pay out-of-network rates should you need hospital care (unless you have Highmark Community Blue, which offers no coverage for UPMC hospitals). Please check with your insurance. Our referral hospitals for clients with Highmark insurance are AHN's West Penn and Jefferson Hospitals.
More info about fees, if you're uninsured, and more
Our goal is to make our care as accessible as possible to all, including to those without insurance. We also aim to be as transparent as we can about costs. If you do not have insurance or would like to understand more about fees for our services, please read the information below.
Primary gynecological care
If you do not have insurance or a Medicaid plan, you may be eligible to receive gynecological services on a sliding-scale based on your income and family size. The Midwife Center is a member site of Adagio Health, making it possible for us to provide these services to you at low-to-no cost.
We accept payments by cash, check, credit card, and FSA/HCA/HRA spending account cards. If you have any questions before you make an appointment, our front office is happy to help. Please contact us at 412.321.6880.
Prenatal care and childbirth
The cost of having a baby at our birth center is detailed in our Maternity Fee Schedule.
When you start care, we will provide an estimate of your out-of-pocket expenses for your maternity (prenatal and birth) care based on your insurance plan's coverage for maternity care. Please note we can only estimate what your costs will be at our birth center. We are not able to estimate what your costs will be if you receive care at a hospital or another facility.
All self-pay fees, deductibles, cost share, co-pays, and expected out-of-pocket fees are due by the 32nd week of pregnancy. Because we can only provide you with an estimate, we settle your final bill several weeks after your baby is born, depending on how quickly your insurance company pays its portion. We accept payments by cash, check, credit card, and FSA/HCA/HRA spending account cards.
If you do not have insurance and are seeking prenatal care
You may quality for Pennsylvania Medical Assistance (also known as Medicaid). We recommend applying online. Please visit the Department of Human Services for more information.
- If you qualify for Medicaid, you'll be asked to select a Managed Care Organization (MCO) to cover your care. The Midwife Center accepts the following MCOs: Gateway, United Community Partners, and UPMC For You.
- Some MCO’s have value-added services such as free car seats and doula services.
- You can request an MCO change by contacting the Department of Human Services or by contacting the MCO you wish to change to.
If you are not eligible for Medicaid, you may be eligible to make payments on a sliding-scale and/or a payment plan.
If you have any questions or if you have any changes with your insurance, please contact us at 412-321-6880 x 211 or contact your insurance company.