Annual Gynecological Exams
Your annual exam will start with a review of your medical, surgical, and social history. We will then try to answer any questions you have about your reproductive health and review wellness tips with you. This could include of a review of nutrition, your diet, primary care and dentist visits, lab work, contraceptives, and others. An annual exam appointment usually ends with a full physical exam that may include a Pap smear, breast/chest exam, and/or STI testing as desired.
Typically, appointments are conducted face-to-face with your nurse practitioner or midwife in your own clothing. We’ll ask that you change into one of our comfortable gowns for your physical exam.
We are committed to helping you develop a reproductive life plan that fits your needs. A contraceptive counseling visit starts with a review of what methods, if any, have worked for you in the past and an assessment of what methods may work for you now. These methods include:
- Prescriptions for the pill (oral contraceptives) the shot (Depo-Provera), and the patch
- IUD (intrauterine device) insertions including the Mirena, Skyla, and Paraguard. We also do IUD removals.
- Nexplanon implant
- Diaphragms. We can provide one at the end of your visit.
- Plan B (morning-after pill). We have Plan B in-house.
- Natural family planning and fertility awareness. Please see below.
If you need guidance before your visit to figure out which contraceptive method might be right for you, a resource we've found to be helpful is bedsider.org.
Urgent health concerns
Our midwives and nurse practitioner can help you address gynecological health concerns and make referrals as needed. Some issues we often treat include:
- Vaginal infections and abnormal discharge
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs)
- Breast changes or lumps
- Issues with your menstrual cycle
Sexually transmitted infection (STI) screening and treatment
It’s important to be in charge of your sexual health and one of the best ways to do that is screening for STIs. We can provide in-house screening for chlamydia and gonorrhea, testing and treatment for HSV (herpes simplex virus), and genital warts. We can provide you with referrals or prescriptions for blood work to screen for some STIs as well. We will provide you with appropriate follow-up, including prescriptions for treatment.
Natural family planning & fertility awareness
We can provide you with information and counseling about natural family planning and fertility awareness, sometimes referred to as FAM or CM-BBT. These methods may help you if you’re hoping to plan a family soon or if you do not wish to contracept with hormonal options. We can talk to you about using these methods and can suggest further resources, including reading materials and where you can find classes.
Other services we offer
- Short-term, in-house behavioral health services to help you with depression, anxiety, and other concerns. Learn more about behavioral health and wellness services at The Midwife Center.
- Pre-conception counseling appointments
- Pregnancy verification and ultrasound referrals
- Pregnancy options counseling, including information about abortion, adoption, and parenting
- Referrals for mammograms
- Referrals for lab work including thyroid testing
Our building is accessible. If you have a physical or mobility disability, our goal is to accommodate you with an appointment room specifically designed for people using assistive devices. This room also includes a specialty exam table that allows for more functionality than a traditional exam table.
Insurance & Payment
Make an appointment or walk in
You may call our front office at 412.321.6880 to make an appointment or ask questions about insurance and payment. You may also come to our With Woman Fridays walk-in program on Fridays from 12:30-5:00pm.
Con Mujeres - una clínica ambulatoria para atención ginecológica
The Midwife Center ofrece una clínica ambulatoria para atención ginecológica, la que abre el primer viernes de cada mes entre las horas 12:30-5:00 PM. Podemos atenderle en el examen anual, en conseguir anticonceptivos, en resolver problemas ginecológicos, y más. Le permite consultar con una partera que habla español. Aprenda más.